The Bennett & Jeanette Duval Undergraduate Scholarship Fund was established on February 13, 1996 in memory of Jeanette Duval. The Duval Scholarship provides support to high-achieving undergraduate research scholars in the Physiological Science Major and allows the Department to continue to recruit and retain top students from diverse backgrounds.
Students who meet the following eligibility criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Physiological Science senior in good academic standing (Major GPA = 3.5+)
- Completion of the Physiological Science core courses (107, 111A, 111B)
- Enrollment in supervised individual research, Phy Sci 198AB or 199 (participation in Departmental Honors is not required)
- Presentation of research at the annual Department of Integrative Biology and Physiology Research Poster Day in Spring Quarter
- Application form
- Personal statement describing goals for this year and beyond
- Nomination letter from a research mentor
- Current resume
- Current degree progress report
To learn more about our Bennett & Jeanette Duval Scholars, please visit this link.
2021 Bennett and Jeanette Duval Scholar
Mika Sonnleitner has been named the 2021 Bennett and Jeanette Duval Undergraduate Scholarship recipient and joins the ranks of our impressive Duval Scholars. She is a senior who is currently applying to medical school and hopes to pursue a career in geriatric medicine. Before COVID, she was an active volunteer with Companion Care, an organization providing companionship to older adults in the geriatrics unit of Santa Monica Hospital. The Duval Scholarship provides support to high-achieving undergraduate research scholars in the Physiological Science Major and allows the Department to continue to recruit and retain top students from diverse backgrounds. Congratulations, Mika!